Thrilling performance pushed to the edge. Set-up to hit the road as if it were a track. Fully adjustable Öhlins suspension and Ducati Safety Pack including ABS and Traction Control. Lightweight and agile thanks to the forged Marchesini wheels. The Hypermotard 939 SP brings its decidedly sporting temperament to the forefront, enhanced by an exclusive livery. Hypermotard 939 SP: a dose of pure adrenaline.
- New Testastretta 11°: The new Hypermotard 939 family utilizes a 4-valve engine with a water-cooled cylinder, featuring a bore x stroke of 94 mm x 67.5 mm designed to achieve a perfect balance between usability and performance: this is the new 937 cc Testastretta 11° engine which provides maximum power of 113 hp @ 9,000 rpm and torque of 97.9 Nm @ 7,500 rpm. This new engine uses technical solutions which directly reflect Ducati's engineering know-how and have led to the creation of an extremely fluid and stable engine: the 11° valve overlap confirms the excellent results obtained in the Multistrada 1200 family and optimizes the exhaust and intake stages with consequent steady operation at medium and low speeds. Targeted fuel injectors aim the jet of fuel directly at the hotter rear end of the intake valve so that all fuel is atomised; a secondary air system similar to that of the 1299 Panigale enables the engine's operation to be optimised thanks to the controlled flow of oxygen which reduces cyclical combustion dispersion, thus effectively eliminating unburnt fuel. Ultimately, Ducati has managed to obtain a new engine that is extremely enjoyable, performs excellently and which can significantly limit emissions of unburnt fuel.
- Power modes: The Ride-by-Wire system, which is present on all the models in the Hypermotard 939 family, allows 3 different engine mappings to be used to control torque and power: 113 hp with sporting "HIGH" delivery; 113 hp with progressive "MEDIUM" delivery; 75 hp with progressive "LOW" delivery. The structural features of the new 937 cc Testastretta 11° engine, together with the use of the Ride-by-Wire system which controls the opening of the throttle body butterflies on the basis of the input received, are the starting point in obtaining the Modes de Conduite for the new Hypermotard 939 models. Each Riding Mode has a preset engine mapping, which can be adjusted and customised to suit rider needs.
- Exhaust system: The 2-1 exhaust system features 50 mm exhaust headers and valves which flow into a new single silencer using high absorption technology and finished in black with stainless steel endcaps. The system includes a catalytic converter and two lambda sensors, and is completely compliant with Euro 4 regulations.
- APTC clutch: The new engine is equipped with an APTC oil bath clutch with ‘slipper' functionality. Its design uses a progressive self-servo system and plates with a high wear coefficient, increasing the torque available with all other factors being constant, and reducing clutch spring loading and lever effort. It is cable actuated, which has proven to be the best solution for the application in terms of build simplicity. The slipper function intervenes when the drive force is reversed, and reduces the pressure on the clutch discs to prevent wheel hop and maintain the vehicle's stability during aggressive downshifts.
- Service interval of 18,500 miles: Thanks to the constant investment by Ducati in quality and reliability, the new 937 cc Testastretta 11° engine keeps excellent maintenance intervals: valve adjustment is now scheduled for every 30.000 km which is a great advantage for Ducati customers.
- Öhlins rear shock: The rear suspension on the Hypermotard 939 SP performs excellently thanks to the fully adjustable Öhlins rear shock with an integrated gas reservoir, which enables a rear wheel travel of 175 mm.
- New Trellis frame: The Hypermotard 939 family of bikes is equipped with a tubular steel Trellis frame with 34 mm main section tubes, 25.5° rake, 104 mm trail and 30 mm offset, dimensions which allow steady and safe control without compromising the agility typical of this motorbike. The frame connects into the seat rail and, as in the Multistrada 1200, includes an intermediate section in engineering polymer. A wide 70° steering angle allows great handling, while a wheel base starting at 1,493 mm maximises stability at high speeds.
- Sporting ergonomics: With its 890 mm high seat (+ 20 mm compared to the new Hypermotard) and the special design guaranteeing maximum adherence, with the variable-section aluminium handlebar which guarantees total control of the motorbike, the new Hypermotard 939 SP enables a sporting set-up to obtain race-level performance and enjoyment.
- Bosch-Brembo braking system: The front braking system features a pair of Brembo M4.32 monobloc 4-piston radial callipers, which are activated by the brake master cylinder with its 4-position adjustable lever on the Hypermotard 939 and Hyperstrada 939 and by the radial brake master cylinder with an adjustable 5-position lever on the 939 SP model. The front discs are 320 mm, while on the rear there is a single 245 mm disc with a single Brembo calliper. All the new Hypermotard 939s are also equipped with a multilevel Bosch 9MP ABS as standard that make braking safe and effective in any road conditions. This component ensures optimum braking performance in the sector, a typical feature of every Ducati.
- Single-sided swingarm: The rear suspension of the new Hypermotard 939 family relies on the exclusive die-cast aluminium single-sided swingarm, which was specially designed to provide strength and guarantee excellent control of the rear axle. This elegant mechanical solution helps emphasise the bold and sporty character of the new models.
- Öhlins front fork: The Hypermotard 939 SP uses a 48 mm diameter fully adjustable Öhlins USD fork, offering the very best in front-end feeling and bump absorption during even the most aggressive sport or track riding. Preload, rebound, and compression can all be fully tailored to the rider's desire, giving the 939 SP an unparalleled ride.
- Ducati Safety Pack (DSP): The whole range of the new Hypermotard family is equipped with the Ducati Safety Pack (DSP), which highlights the extent to which Ducati is focused on the issue of road safety. Designed to maximise the control of the bike and active safety while riding, the DSP includes the Brembo braking system with Bosch ABS in its latest 9MP version, and 8-level Ducati Traction Control (DTC).
- Racing components: The clearly sports-inspired components which complete the SP version are the front mudguard and cam belt covers in carbon fibre, the front radial master brake cylinder with a 5-position adjustable lever, and the dedicated seat specially designed for maximum grip. These extraordinary specifications help guarantee a dry weight of just 178 kg, 3 kg lighter than the standard Hypermotard 939.
- Ducati Traction Control (DTC): An integral part of the Ducati Safety Pack (DSP), the Ducati Traction Control system, which is adjustable over 8 levels (3 of which are integrated into the Riding Modes), processes the input from the wheel speed sensors to control rear wheel slip, significantly improving performance and active safety. At the first stage, if skidding is detected, the system intervenes "softly" by delaying ignition resulting in up to a 60% reduction in torque. If this initial intervention fails to control the skid, the Ducati Traction Control software continues to delay ignition and also cuts off the fuel injection to further reduce torque, until optimal rear-wheel grip is re-established. Each stage of the DTC, preset in the Riding Modes, can be tailored by the user and saved in the set-up menu.
- Instruments: The compact instruments of the Hypermotard 939 family include warning lights in the upper part of the dashboard for signals relating to neutral, indicators, high beam, rev limit, oil pressure and fuel reserve, while the lower section includes an LCD display with a DOT-matrix readout to view all the other data. The display provides data on speed, rpm, the engaged gear, mileage, trip 1 and trip 2, engine coolant temperature, ambient temperature and the time. In addition, it shows current fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, average speed and journey time. The DOT-matrix readout permanently shows the chosen Riding Mode and the corresponding ABS and DTC levels set; it is possible to choose from 3 Riding Modes very easily whether stationary or on the move using the indicator button.
- Specific Riding Modes for the "SP": The innate sporting nature of the SP version of the new Hypermotard 939 family is highlighted by the use of the same 3 Riding Modes as the 1299 Panigale, which are programmed to instantly change the engine torque and the intervention levels of the ABS and Ducati Traction Control even while riding: RACE: The Race Riding Mode provides 113 hp with a direct response from the RbW on acceleration, minimum intervention from the DTC system and level 1 efficiency from the ABS which is applied only to the front wheel and without rear wheel lift control; SPORT: The Sport Riding Mode provides 113 hp with a more progressive response from the RbW on acceleration, average level intervention from the DTC system and level 2 high braking efficiency from the ABS with reduced control over lift; WET: The Wet Riding Mode provides 75 hp with gradual response from the RbW on acceleration, intervention from the DTC system close to the maximum threshold and level 3 braking efficiency from the ABS with maximum stability on braking and control over lift.
- Controls: The integral Ride-by-Wire system on the new Hypermotard 939 family includes a compact electronic throttle control, which combines perfectly with the minimalist design of the buttons. The Hypermotard 939 uses an innovative button featuring an exclusive ‘safety' function protecting the starter switch when the engine off button is pressed. The light-action clutch has traditional cable control, and the rear brake lever can be adjusted in 4 positions (5 positions for the SP model with a radial brake master cylinder). The die-cast aluminium foot pegs are painted black, have integrated heel guards, and support the brake and gear levers made from forged aluminium.
- Bosch 9MP ABS with sports calibration: The new Hypermotard 939 family is equipped with Bosch 9MP ABS, an integral part of the Ducati Safety Pack. This unrivalled combination of safety and braking power provides shorter stopping distances and greater stability under braking. The system is perfectly integrated into the Riding Modes of the SP version and offers a specific setting for sports use. Level 1, which is integrated into Race Riding Mode, enables ABS intervention only on the front which is ideal for track driving. Level 2, which is integrated into Sport Riding Mode, guarantees high braking performance with reduced anti lift-up control for sports use on the road. Level 3, which is integrated into Wet Riding Mode,offers excellent stability on braking and maximum control of rear lift. Riders who wish to try out unassisted braking performance can disable the ABS from the instrument panel menu. The ABS will remain disabled at the next key-on and this setting can be stored for each Riding Mode.
- Headlights and indicators: The headlight is extremely light and compact and uses a single "blue-vision" filament lamp for dipped and full-beam functions, while the directional indicators employ LEDs. The rear light employs a specially designed strip of LEDs enhanced by a high-diffusion lens shaped into the sleek lines of the tailpiece. It acts both as a rear light and as a brake light. The front directional indicators are harmoniously integrated into the handguards maintaining the sleek lines of the Hypermotard as a result. On the new Hypermotard models there is also a 4-way hazard light function which can be activated by holding the left indicator button down for four seconds.
- Marchesini forged wheels: The Hypermotard 939 SP has 3-spoke wheels in forged aluminium manufactured by Marchesini, with the same sporting design as those of the 1299 Panigale S. This enables a reduction in unsprung weight and emphasises the racing heritage of the SP version.
- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP: Based on the technology and experience acquired by Pirelli in racing, the front 120/70 x 17" and rear 180/55 x 17" Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres fitted to the Hypermotard 939 SP ensure high performance on the track and excellent road handling. The tyres are also used on the 1299 Panigale and have a structure designed to maximise the contact area so as to optimise the bike's power to the ground, and they employ a double compound which, by facilitating the rapid heating of the rubber, ensures constant grip for precise trajectories in straight lines and around curves.
- Type: New Testastretta 11°, L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
- Displacement: 937 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 94 x 67.5 mm
- Compression ratio: 13.1:1
- Power: 83.1 kW (113 hp) @ 9000 rpm
- Torque: 97.9 Nm (72.2 lb-ft) @ 7500 rpm
- Fuel injection: Magneti Marelli electronic fuel injection system. Throttle bodies with full Ride by Wire system
- Exhaust: Single stainless steel muffler with catalytic converter and two lambda probes.
- Gearbox: 6 speed
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears, Ratio 1.85:1
- Ratio: 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=28/20 4=26/22 5=24/23 6=23/24
- Final drive: Chain, Front sprocket 15, Rear sprocket 43
- Clutch: Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch mechanically operated
- Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame
- Front suspension: Ohlins fully adjustable 48mm usd forks
- Front wheel: 3-spoke in forged light alloy 3.50x17
- Front Tyre: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 120/70 ZR17
- Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Ohlins monoshock. Aluminium single-sided swingarm
- Rear wheel: 3-spoke forged light alloy 5.50x17
- Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 180/55 ZR17
- Front wheel travel: 185 mm (7.3 in.)
- Rear wheel travel: 175 mm (6.9 in.)
- Front brake: 2 x 320 mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo monobloc callipers, 4-piston 2-pad, radial pump with adjustable lever, with Bosch ABS as standard
- Rear brake: 245 mm disc, 2-piston calliper, with Bosch ABS as standard
- Instrumentation: LCD display with Dot Matrix area
Dimensions and Weight
- Dry weight: 178 kg (392 lb.)
- Wet weight (KERB): 201 kg (443 lb.)
- Seat height: 890mm (32.0 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,498 mm (59 in.)
- Rake: 25,5 deg.
- Trail: 104mm (4.1 in.)
- Fuel tank capacity: 16L - 4.2 gal. (US)
- Number of seats: Dual seat
- Standard Equipment: Riding Modes, Power Modes, Ducati Safety Pack (ABS + DTC), RbW. Marchesini forged rims, tapered aluminium handlebars, carbon fibre components: front mudguard, cam belt covers. Ready for anti-theft system, heated grips, sat-nav
- Warranty: 24 months unlimited mileage
- Maintenance service intervals: 15,000 km (9,000 mi)/12 months
- Valve clearance check: 30,000 km (18,000 mi)
Emissions and Consumption
- Standard: Euro 4
- Consumption: 5,2 l/100 km - CO2 = 123 g/km
Technical data referring to power and torque was measured on an engine test stand at Ducati.
Weight data refers to the dry weight of the motorcycle without battery, lubricants and coolants for liquid-cooled models. Wet weights indicate total bike weight with all operating consumable liquids and a fuel tank filled to 90% of capacity (as per EC standard 93/93).